Saturday, January 15, 2011

First post... and a hat.

So I decided to start a new blog... for knitting patterns!  (Probably crochet patterns, too, if I design any.)

I want to start trying to design my own knitwear in 2011 and I wanted to have a place to record/edit my patterns.  Hopefully this is the beginning of a beautiful new relationship.

My boyfriend asked me to make him a scarf, and went through my stash to find something he liked.  One of the yarns was handed-down from an old friend, and I had no idea how much was left in the skein.  I figured out what the yarn was, and found another skein in the same color (hoping the dye lots weren't *too* different).  I ended up only needing a few yards of the second skein so... I decided to make myself a hat to match.

So... the first pattern is a hat with those little flaps to cover your ears!  This one is inspired by this hearts hat and by this pattern I asked Google to translate from the French. (Try it... you can only add the earflaps on Sundays!  Teehee.)  I didn't want to have to buy size 13 DPNs, so this is worked flat and seamed.

Materials: Jiffy Thick & Quick yarn, 1 skein in "Berkshires"
          Size 13 straight or circular needles

Gauge: 7 sts and 9 rows in 3"

Ear flaps (make 2) CO 5 sts
Row 1: purl
Row 2: K1, m1, k3, m1, k1 (7 sts)
Row 3: purl
Row 4: k1, m1, k5, m1, k1 (9sts)
Work in stockinette st until flap measures 3 inches.  Do not bind off - cut a long tail and put it on a stitch holder for later.

Hat:
Cast on 6 stitches, knit on one ear flap, cast on 18 sts, knit on other ear flap, cast on 6 sts. (48 sts)
Row 1: p2, k2, p13, (k2, p2) 3 times, k2, p13, k2, p2
Row 2: k2, p2, k13, (p2, k2) 3 times, p2, k13, p2, k2
Row 3: purl
Row 4: knit
Continue in St st until hat (not including ear flaps) measures 3".
Row 1: *k4, k2tog*, rep from * to end
Row 2: purl
Row 3: knit
Row 4: *p3, p2tog*, rep from * to end
Row 5: knit
Row 6: purl
Row 7: *k2, k2tog*, rep from * to end
Row 8: purl
Row 9: *k1, k2tog*, rep from * to end
Row 10: purl
Row 11: k2tog around
Break yarn, leaving a long tail.  Draw through remaining 8 sts, and sew the back seam.  Weave in ends.

Cut 4 long pieces of yarn.  Attatch 2 to each ear flap at the middle of the yarn, and then braid the 4 strands on each side together to form the ties.

Ta-da!!  It's not very tight against my head, but the ties should keep the ears warm!  :)

**edit** a note on sizing:  I love the short length of the hat because my ponytail fits at the back of the hat.  If you want a longer hat, shorten the ear-flaps a bit and lengthen the main part of the hat before you start the decreases.  For instance: try 2" ear-flaps and 4" of hat before decreasing.


9 comments:

  1. I left a comment on ravelry, and I see that you're trying to get a knitting pattern blog going, and because I love this pattern so much, I think I'll follow this blog as well lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I'm anxious to try this pattern and this might be a stupid question but.....when you say knit on one ear flap when you are casting on the hat portion -- what do you mean? Could you explain it a little better? Thanks. Candyf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Candy!

    After you knit the ear flaps you have two separate pieces of knitting, and you want to join them to the hat part while casting on. So - you cast on however many stitches, then you take one flap on a holder (I was actually using an ink pen) and pretty much just knit it off the holder. After you do that, on the needle you have your cast on stitches, and then the flap. Then just go back to casting on until you need to add the other flap.

    You'll have to use some kind of cast-on that's not like long-tail. I used a cast-on where I just kind of loop the stitches around the needle (not really sure what it's called) so that you don't end up with a tail of yarn across the ear flap.

    I can try to explain better (or work on some pictures) if that doesn't make sense.



    TrueIconoclast: thanks so much! I don't know how often I'll be able to post, but I'm encouraged!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoops! That last post was me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I think I understand now. I'll give it a try and let you know if I run into any more questions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jenny -- Your pattern makes up perfectly. Very easy to follow once you explained the cast on with the earflaps. I didn't take a photo before giving it away but I plan on making some more so I will make sure to take photos of those. Thanks again for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenny, I love this hat. I modified it a tad for my own purposes, but this gave me a great base to start with. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, Erin! I'm so glad you like it! :)

    ReplyDelete