Sunday, April 24, 2011

Blanket #2 of 2011

Hello again!

Blanket #1 is finished - I'll post some completed pictures on Ravelry soon (you can find me @jennylg)... And that means I'm starting on blanket #2!

I've actually been working on it for a while now and already have some parts of it worked out.  It's going to be a wedding present for my friends Josh and Arden, and for some reason I felt like black and off-white yarn would suit them well.  I also wanted to get some practice in with intarsia knitting, and from there decided to go with a diagonal theme. 

I didn't want to knit the entire blanket, since I want this one to go pretty quickly (still have one or two or maybe three more to get done this year) so I decided to find a granny square to go with the theme.  I settled on the Corner Stripe Square by JudyK because I can alternate the squares to form a diagonal pattern.

Part of the reason I haven't written the pattern down yet is that I haven't completely decided what I'm going to do.  I bought Caron "One Pound" yarn and originally had a different design in mind for the intarsia squares, so I bought two pounds of black and one pound of off white.  This actually will mean I have less of the white than I need, but I might be able to just use the black instead.  We'll see.

So, in summary:
- I'm making the "Corner Stripe Square" in black (so far) and may add some white.  I'm using hook size K and the squares are turning out about 6" per side.  All in all, I'm planning to make 40 of the small squares.
- I'm making larger squares knit in garter stitch in various diagonal patterns.  I'm using size 8 needles and casting on 40 stitches.  These squares end up being about 11" per side, and I'll sc around the edges before sewing them together.  I'm planning to make 10 large squares.

The overall plan is to arrange the larger squares on the diagonal as shown:



Here's what I have so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment