Friday, June 10, 2011

Dragon/Hippo/Dinosaur

So... I'm finishing up Arden & Josh's blanket (that's blanket #2) and actually have already started on blanket #3.... but of course, other projects abound.

I'm about to start the "umbilical cord hat" from Stitch 'n Bitch, with a couple tiny modifications - nothing serious - for a friend.  I also made some mini Star Wars amigurumi for which I bought patterns more than a year ago.  They turned out *so* cute (a little Ewok and Yoda) that I was motivated... and my motivation took this shape:


When I was first making him, my boyfriend Tim told me he looked like a dragon.  My friend Stewie informed me, about halfway through, that he thought it looked like a hippo.  But my intention was always "dinosaur".

This guy is crochet and stuffed with poly-fil.  I used some yarn I found in my stash (and actually ran out before I finished him - that's why the spikes are green instead of blue) and I didn't even really come up with a pattern.  I'll describe what I did, and if anyone wants a more detailed guideline, I can give that a whirl later.

I started with a ch2, 6sc in 1st ch.
From there, the second and maybe third row were just 1sc in each sc - making the nose.
I wanted the nose to be at the bottom of the head, so I increased (2sc in 1sc) a few stitches at the top of the head for the next few rounds, then at the back of the head did the decreases on the top as well.
For the neck I made increases at the bottom and decreases at the top so that it would slope down a little.
The body has the increases mostly at the bottom - but I put a couple at the top, too, to make him a bit round.
I did a couple of rows even in the middle for his gut, then decreased at first just on the bottom, but then more towards the tail I spaced out the decreases pretty evenly.
The legs are little tubes 6sc around (start again with 2ch, 6sc in 1st ch, then do 1sc in each sc for about 3 or 4 rounds) - I made the bottom of the foot green since I was running out of yarn - and then I sewed these on separately at the end.
The spikes I crocheted right on to the actual dinosaur (I didn't crochet them and then sew them on) and they follow a 2 stitch pattern: *sl st in the 1st stitch, hdc, dc, hdc in next st* rep from * to * until end of spike row, sl st.

Only the body is stuffed - and I made sure to stuff the head before decreasing for the tail.  The tail actually doesn't have stuffing in it.  My plan was to overstuff the body and then work some of the stuffing down into the tail, but it just didn't work out that way.

All in all, I think he was about 4" tall and maybe 6" long.  I left him with my friend Stewie's 3-year-old nephew.

Here's another photo, since he's such a cutie:
I might as well include the inspiration for the dinosaur.  These patterns are by Lucy Collin, and you can find them on Etsy.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment